[colug-432] HDD Questions

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:42:11 EDT 2016

"I am considering a software type drive. Which have the best
reliability? I have heard that the performance is not as good as
claimed. Same for reliability."

I'm thinking you mean SSD (Solid State Disk).  What is your
application?  Unless you are doing very heavy video editing (or other
I/O intensive work), you won't notice any difference between
advertised speed, and the speed you actually get.  Suppose you look at
a SSD that is advertised to have the speed of a Ferrari.  You are
currently driving a Volkswagen Jetta.  When you hook it up, you find
that it has the speed of a Porsche- not quite as fast as a Ferrari,
but to someone who drives a Jetta there is no perceptible difference.

If you buy a brand name- I always buy Intel drives, for example- then
reliability is much less of an issue than if you buy an off-brand like
OCZ.  You'll pay for the name, but it will be more reliable.