[colug-432] HDD Questions

David A. Desrosiers desrod at gnu-designs.com
Thu Sep 8 12:49:42 EDT 2016

On 9/7/16 3:42 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Unless you are doing very heavy video editing (or other
> I/O intensive work), you won't notice any difference between
> advertised speed, and the speed you actually get.  Suppose you look at
> a SSD that is advertised to have the speed of a Ferrari.  You are
> currently driving a Volkswagen Jetta.  When you hook it up, you find
> that it has the speed of a Porsche- not quite as fast as a Ferrari,

Careful... there's a HUGE difference in speed and performance on an SSD
(more noticeably on NVME than pure SSD) if you plug that drive into a
SATA port vs. a PCIe port.

I'm seeing 2.8Gb/sec on-disk, write speed with my NVME drive in the PCIe
port, and 900Mb/sec for the SAME drive plugged into the SATA port
(tested with hdparm -Tt).

It makes an ENORMOUS difference.