[colug-432] in search of spam/phishing filtering that doesn't suck

William Yang wyang at gcfn.net
Mon Sep 19 21:37:41 EDT 2016

Depends on scale, sophistication of users, and similar other intangibles.

I have not received a single spam message at one account in almost 3
years on a long-lived, widely distributed account that used to receive
thousands of spam per day.

Ultimately, it was about taking Paul Graham's _Plan for Spam_ to the
logical extreme: whitelist authorized senders, and quarantine all other
senders (senders can be email, domain, or regex, because it's in my
procmailrc).  My quarantine still gets a lot of junk, but not that
much.it turns out it really is mostly (>99%) junk.  A little automation
to make whitelist management easier, along with rebuilding my
.procmailrc, and it's been remarkably effective.

I have educated a number of users (yes, I still have users) at my hobby
ISP, and they're able to pick up the concepts and efforts reasonably
well.  With an average age greater than 80, I expected more difficulty,
but I guess only the hard core folks have stayed with Free-Net that
long.... ;-)

My wife doesn't like it, my kids do okay.  Your mileage may vary.