[colug-432] Flawless Drive

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:43:04 EDT 2016

"No new drive yet. Just getting prepared to buy one. I want to send it
back immediately if not up to par."

I don't think you can do this with an SSD- the failure modes I've
heard of generally consist of "one day it works, one day it doesn't,
with no sign as to why".  This is why backups are very important.  :)

With hard drives, however, there are things you can do.  Most hard
drives that are defective are either DOA or will die within the first
6 months or so.  Statistically, those that make it past 6 months are
very likely to last several years.  So you can actively try to break
the hard drive when you first get it, to shorten that 6 month timespan
into something more reasonable.

There is a Linux based stress tester, I don't recall what it's called,
that is very effective at killing those hard drive that are defective.
It basically creates a file or files that will fill up the entire hard
drive.  These files are full of random data.  It then runs a test such
that the the disk heads are forced to go back and forth, spanning the
entire disk surface area, many times per second.  If you run this for
24 hours, then it has a good chance to kill the disk so that you can
send it back for a warranty repair.

A-ha, I found it, it is called stressdisk.  It says that it does, in
fact, work on flash media and SSD's... though the tests on flash and
SSD's are destructive because flash has a limited number of write
cycles.

https://github.com/ncw/stressdisk

Here is an article on SSD reliability:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/