[colug-432] IoT devices, IPv6 -- Re: ping on z/VM

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Aug 16 13:36:50 EDT 2017

As noted after the CARPE [2] meeting (those not present missed
a good one) last night: One takeaway was that Arduino's are
too small in memory space for comfortable coding [heap, stack
and stored configuration], but that the Espressif ESP8266 and
the later ESP32 were much better for those not wanting a
full-blown operating system (as a Raspberry Pi, Beagleboard,
and so forth permit).  There are reasons, mostly power
consumption, no SD card woes, and speed of blowing in a new
set of code for incremental testing, to prefer NOT lugging a
OS around

IPv6 came up.  The processing, and memory space requirements
which IPv6 carries with it are probably properly out of scope
for mainframes and big enterprise corporate (which was the
writing prompt for the attached post), but certainly
additionally apply to IoT and ESP8266 devices ;)  This is not
really news -- When 'too many' ASNs were hit -- something over
20k as I recall, big iron router ram needed expansions as well

How say you, Rick T ?

-- Russ herrold