[colug-432] file replication across data centers

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue Feb 7 16:39:53 EST 2017

On 02/07/2017 04:13 PM, Christopher Cavello wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded.
> I'm working with 2 datacenters > 500 miles apart, so I can't do
> synchronous replication.
>
> We are currently using rsync and cron now, but are looking for
> something that might be an improvement.
>
> After exploring gluster with geo-replication, it looks like that uses
> rsync under the covers, unless you specify tar-over-ssh.

You may be able to get better synchronicity by combining RSYNC with
INOTIFY instead of driving RSYNC only from CRON.

At work, since my employer is just as Windoze-centric as any other, we
use MS OneDrive. (I am not unhappy with it. Some Microsoft products are
quite good.) OneDrive watches for changes to files in the synchronized
folder. Similarly, INOTIFY watches for changes to files in a watched
folder. (The Wikipedia page <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify> says
that INOTIFY does not follow hierarchies.)

-- R; <><