[colug-432] google spam filters eating our threads

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Thu Feb 9 10:30:56 EST 2017

Here's some perhaps useful analysis:

Sorry for the top post, but when I read the normal "inline" style that
we're used to on my phone, my phone says "this message has no content"
because it only sees reply marks. Whatever, so here's something interesting.

Rob Stampfli has an email domain of cboh.org.

My domain is hosted on google, so I checked, and only Rob's message about
gracefully doing nothing showed up in the spam. And it tells me why:  Gmail
thinks the message is spoofed.  Why does it think that?  Because cboh.org
has a command in their SPF record that says if the message comes from my
domain, but doesn't come from a host that is listed as one of its (cboh.org's)
own servers, as listed in their MX records, reject it.

A la:

#> nslookup set type=txt

cboh.org        text =

        "v=spf1 mx -all"

Notice the"-all" --- that is the hard fail command.  Mail processors are
welcome / encouraged to fail this message.

I'm not picking on Rob, by any means. But, when you send email that's
likely to go through a list that acts as a re-mailer, this -all can cause
problems.

Combine that failure with DKIM signing - which also gets blown up because
colug's listserv adds a header (which means the DKIM signature no longer
matches), and suddenly you start looking "spammy"

Recommendation:  If you run your own domain (a lot of us do), check your
SPF record in DNS, and consider changing to ~all or ?all rather than -all.

~Angelo