[colug-432] KDE and kwallet pain

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Wed Feb 22 11:00:52 EST 2017

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:02:28 PM EST, Vince Herried wrote:
> I'm on Ceetos 7 running kde.

Which version of KDE? Given CentOS, I assume an old one....

> I'm trying to get the wallet manager to open automagically at login
> so I don't have to re-enter my password for the NetworkManager
> to be able to get to my
> known WiFi credentials.

In all my years running KDE, the kwallet password prompt has appeared as
soon as something (usually kmail in my case) needed access to it.

> I find bunches of articles about using other than the gdm display manager.
> None seem to work with the gdm display manager.

I wouldn't expect the display manager to be relevant?
The display manager handles login and starting KDE, while kwallet is after
KDE starts.

> Any one have any success?
> Even yanking the passwords out and putting them in wpa_suplicant?

On my laptop I'm using KDE on Arch (so a very recent KDE/Plasma 5), and the
network connections configuration includes the option to store the wifi
passwords unencrypted ("for all users"), rather than encrypted ("for this
user only").

I just checked my desktop machine (Ubuntu 14.04, KDE 4.14-ish), which of
course doesn't have wifi set up, but it also appears to include the option
to set up a wifi connection for all users, presumably unencrypted rather
than in kwallet.

-Rob