[colug-432] Schilly versus the FSF

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Mon Jan 9 12:19:18 EST 2017

Does anyone know the story behind the 'make' battle between Steven
Schilly and the maintainers of GNU Make?

I build from source.
One of the packages in the "occasionally re-run" list is the CDRECORD
package. (the old one)
There are several times in the process when a loud message is displayed
"these errors are because GNU Make maintainers didn't listen to me about
a bug in their shit". (Paraphrased, and expletive added by me.) I've
never understood the why and wherefore, and CDRECORD always builds and
runs just fine. Further, even though GNU Make is sometimes quirky, I can
alternate between 3.79.1 and 3.8x or higher and work around any weirdness.

I guess one reason I'm more curious is that I find myself recently at
odds with the maintainers of a different well-known GNU package. If Mr.
Shcilly was just being a stick-in-the-mud, I want to somehow be ... umm
... not. (I don't want to be an ass when pressing for whatever fix-up
seems to be urgent.) Sometimes nit-picky details which only handful of
people care about can be important down the road. And sometimes
nit-picky details which only a handful of people care about are not
significant.

-- R; <><