[colug-432] to present Chicory

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Thu Jun 1 18:42:46 EDT 2017

Rick --

You would not have come across Chicory.
As far as I know, it's my thing. It evolved from someone else's idea but
I don't think he carried it forward.
The name is almost certainly not used elsewhere. (The original scheme
didn't even have a name.)

Jeff --

Yes, Chicory is a way to build (sometimes even just configure)
applications so they can be installed on demand and used without admin
requirements. (But the admin can always lock down Chicory's sacred
prefix /usr/opt).

When I was working at Nationwide, one of my colleagues showed me
"Portable Apps" for Windows. Really handy to have (e.g.) Firefox on a
flash drive so you could use it in a flash. (pun intended) Chicory
supports running from removable media, but also supports running from
persistent local storage.

Also ... again from when I was at Nationwide ... you can run Chicory
apart from RPM or in concert with it. Probably true for other package
manglers, but confirmed to work with RPM. The trick was simply to get
RPM to inventory the package in question. So the admin who wanted
everything cataloged could have everything cataloged.

-- R; <><