[colug-432] raspberrypi python audio playback

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 19:28:21 EDT 2017

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

After an Amazon misfire, I ordered a different ($30) HDMI convertor. Bad
news  - to function, this device needs to sync with something on the HDMI
OUT side like a TV or monitor. It won't send audio to the 3.5mm or SPDIF
unless that happens first. After it syncs, you can unplug the HDMI out, but
that means leaving it plugged into a display all the time so that it
initializes correctly on power up. That's no good.

I ended up changing the script to use python3, and SimpleAudio (py3 only?)
instead of pygame. It's missing a couple of features I wanted from pygame
(audio fade), but I made it work anyways. Both SimpleAudio and pygame are
inherently already threaded and support start/stop methods, so I didn't
have to worry about that. SimpleAudio, however, seems to honor the amixer
setting of using the 3.5mm jack.

It's nearly time to figure out how to solder this thing to a permaproto
board.