[colug-432] Text Editor

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 20:00:04 EDT 2017

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 16:47, Jeff Frontz <jeff.frontz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TextEdit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TextEdit ) is the stock MacOS GUI-based text editor (it's been in /Applications since at least 10.5, if not before).  vi/vim and emacs (GNU's) are also standard (though they nominally require using the Terminal application (in /Application/Utilities)).
>
> Have the Mac user double-click on the .txt file in the Finder; It Just Works.

+1.

The only two ways I can think that this wouldn't just work - if it isn't really a plaintext (or rtf) file, or if the user somehow managed to re-associate the plaintext type with the script editor.

As Jeff said, just double click the file. Otherwise, the long way around is Applications > Utilities > TextEdit > File > Open > ...