[colug-432] Failing Hard Drive Mystery

Joseph Beard joseph at josephbeard.net
Thu May 18 22:01:22 EDT 2017

Hello,
My ThinkPad has recently started exhibiting some odd behaviour that doesn't
make sense to me. Occasionally, and seemingly at random, this message will
pop up in my terminal:

WARNING: Your hard drive is failing
> Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], unable to open device

Normally, I'd take a message like this to mean just that: that my hard
drive is failing. But here's the weird thing: there is no `/dev/sdc` in
this box. I have `/dev/sda` (a Seagate SSHD), and `/dev/sdb` (an MSATA
SSD). I am _occasionally_ connected to a USB HDD, which I believe shows up
as `sdc`, but these messages appear when I am not connected and haven't
been connected for some time (sometimes hours). I do not have any
filesystems mounted on the external when I disconnect.

Just for sanity's sake, I've used `smartctl` to test all three devices and
have had no errors reported. I feel I can safely ignore this, because it
seems crazy, but I'd
really feel much better knowing why it's happening.

I'm running CentOS 7. Any ideas?

Joe
--
Joseph Beard