[colug-432] Your return of Brother Compact Monochrome Laser...

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Oct 9 13:16:07 EDT 2020

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020, jep200404 at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> Russ posted:
>
> > - Brother Compact Monochrome Laser...
>
> What did you not like about it?

It surprises me to find this reply in this folder.  It appears
that a procmail rule ran amok to have 'gated' into the COLUG
list, that reply from Anazon.  I had 'tickled' the rule
handing parts of that subject line as to returns to Amazon

The returned printer was a somewhat over-priced but available
'in stock' Brother Monochrome, ethernet cable ready, and
Duplex at Amazon.  All in, the cost was north of $200

Just now, looking, I see a like refurb unit for under $100

It was the perception of being over-priced that led me to
return the initial unit provoking that email from Amazon

==============

I _like_ Brother printers.  When HP corporate direction 'went
off the rails' after the LJ4 series, I studied several as well
as my needs (no color needed, light duty cycle, LPR capable)

The toner media is affordable, as are replacement fuser units.
The ones I have bought have not been 'vendor locked' with DRM
chips and such.  They have a set of CUPS drivers which meet my
needs on all three major OS platforms.  They have a set of
wireless capabilities which simply work, again in all three.
In point of fact, I have purchased several for holiday gifts
for all downstream children

There was a SELinux exception produced by one, which was
solveable locally by a simple labelling of the destination
directory with 'restorecon'

-- Russ herrold