[colug-432] debian partman-auto

Rick Hornsby rhornsby at ktzr.net
Mon Nov 20 14:47:26 EST 2023

Having a bit of a hard time getting partman to work properly via a
preseed file on debian 12.

Using `d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select multi` is the closest
canned thing to what I want, and this works - sets up all the partitions
according to that recipe -- so the preseed generally is working. Since
I'm trying to build a server, I don't need /home to be separate or take
up most of the disk.

The answer, as best I can tell is to use `d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe
string` instead and create an inline recipe. There are no fatal (ie
obvious) errors, but instead of ending up with /boot, /tmp, /var, and /
- it's almost as if my recipe[1] gets ignored. The final result[2]
almost looks like the canned atomic (basically one partition) recipe.

Any suggestions on debugging, capturing logs, or maybe something obvious
I'm doing wrong?

thanks!

[1] https://gist.github.com/rjhornsby/35ac913f30fa09e12ea1a303fa1c4bb4
[2]