[colug-432] Print to Wireless Printer

Thomas W. cranston cranston.thomas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 23:35:29 EST 2010

Trying to print from my laptop (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) to friends wireless
Lexmark 7000 printer. He is able to print to wireless printer w/his Mac
laptop.

Nothing was happening at first. I could see his printer on the network,
but it did not show up when I tried to run the troubleshooter.

I finally figured that CUPS was probably not present, as I did not have
a printer when I installed Ubuntu and skipped over the printing stuff. I
then ran sudo apt-get install --reinstall cups. After I print, I get
message Document printed. Document has been sent to Lexmark 7000 for
printing, but the printer does not print. Nothing comes out. It does
print from a Mac laptop though.

Is the problem that different operating systems are trying to operate
the printer w/different drivers?

How do I confirm that a driver is installed?

If so, how do I determine which driver is installed?

Tom