[colug-432] Mo' bulged electrolytic capacitors: LCD Monitor: 1280x1024 19"

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Sat Nov 6 18:19:01 EDT 2010

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010, Richard Troth wrote:

> Where'd you get a capacitance meter?  I need one.

as I recall a simple capacitance meter is just a selectable RC
network resistor grid and a frequency counter -- build a
little oscillator that fires based upon decay of voltage,
calibrate with known reference caps (tantalium </> cap's as I
recall do not age materially), and you are done for rough
sorting.  Someone with a nice junk box can prolly cobble it
together from stuff they have already

dialectric breakdown is just just checking for DC voltage leak
(current flow) through the cap once 'charged up'

-- Russ herrold