[colug-432] Keyboard oddness

Rob Funk rfunk at funknet.net
Thu Aug 18 10:01:45 EDT 2011

Can anyone explain this one?

I'm running KDE (Kubuntu 11.04) on my Thinkpad X61s. I have a PS/2 keyboard
plugged into a USB adapter, which in turn is plugged into the computer.

(That much I can explain: I like this 1996 IBM keyboard.)

My problem is that just this week I've been having trouble typing double-
quotes on the external keyboard.
Neither shift key helps.
Apostrophes are fine. ('''''''''')
Other shifted keys are fine. (?:{}|_+)
No other keys seem to be misbehaving.

Double-quotes are fine on the Thinkpad keyboard.
Holding shift on one keyboard and the quote key on the other keyboard works,
no matter which way.

And *occasionally* it works just to hit the key combination twice, as if it
were a dead key (which I checked for in KDE settings).

Any ideas?