[colug-432] Keyboard oddness

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:26:35 EDT 2011

When you type the shift-quote on the external keyboard, do you get
absolutely nothing at linux or do you get an apostrophe?  Also, is the
behavior different if you're running on the bare-bones console (vs.
running X)?

We had an issue where an external HID was too fast for the kbd driver
(it tickled some strange bug where the shift events were sometimes
lost, seemingly on large blocks of input -- this device is a barcode
reader and sends stuff in a quick burst).  We switched X to use the
event driver and all was better.

If that doesn't help, try running a USB sniffer and seeing what
exactly is coming across the bus.

Jeff