[colug-432] KVM management

Greg Sidelinger gate at ilive4code.net
Mon Aug 6 13:03:43 EDT 2012

I'm finally replacing my home server which is an old P4 and this means
I get to rethink how I have things setup.  On my laptop I spin up
virtual machines to play with new things all the time.  I would like
to move a lot of these guests to the new home server now that it
supports virtual cpu extensions but have not decided how to configure
things.  I was thinking about using vmware's "free" esx stuff but
since it's management interface is a window's only program that is
out.  So I started playing with KVM over the weekend and I can't say
I'm in love but I bet most of it's a learning curve as I've been using
VMWare products for over 10 years on the desktop and server.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a KVM management suit that
allows me to still use the libvirt command line tools if needed.  I'm
looking for something that is either web centric or provides native
clients for  Linux and OSX.  I've looked at
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Management_Tools but would like a few
suggestions of which ones are "good".  So far I like cloudstack but
have yet to try and set it up.

And is VNC really the preferred way to view a GUI from a KVM guest?
I've never really cared for VNC because it always seems "slow" to me
so I was hoping to see something that worked a bit better in the KVM
world to access my guests which require a GUI.