[colug-432] talking to your ISP

yanovich.1 at osu.edu yanovich.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 28 10:10:25 EST 2012

Another metric you may want to look at is the Power Level being reported
by your cable modem from TWC.

In the past I've been able to access it by using this address when
behind the cable modem: http://192.168.0.1/

Look for a status page that contains some of this information:

Downstream Status
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
Modulation
Bit Rate
Power Level
Signal to Noise Ratio
----------
Upstream Status
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
Modulation
Bit Rate
Power Level

Specifically, from my experience with TWC and according to the numerous
techs I've talked to when dealing with crappy speeds the number to look
for is the Downstream Power Level. This number is in units of dBmV and
should be between -7.0 and +7.0, if it is outside of this range CALL
THEM UP. As then you can put the blame on them for the crappy speeds, as
this means (from how I understand what the techs explained to me) is
that the signal from their nearest hub to your house is not reaching
your house with enough power and is degrading the signal. If the number
is within -10.0 and +10.0 they will probably try brushing this off as
being nothing, but if it is outside +14.0 and -14.0 then start
complaining ever more, as that is entirely their fault for not having an
adequate line down your street. Either way, I would recommend keeping a
log of this Downstream Power Level number.

At first, they will probably send somebody out to your house to look at
the quality of lines to your house and inside your house. They'll
probably replace a few coaxial cables, replace the hookup out on the
street, or they may even install a signal booster. Then they'll probably
do some tests with the device they carry around that plugs directly into
the coaxial cable and ask you to use it for a few days and call back in
if there are any more problems.

If the problems persist, they might need to boost the signal down your
street, which in turn will fix your neighbours problems too, assuming
they even notice. I've never had them do this, but lots of people
running off of the hub you are running off of will need to complain
before they'll probably do this, as I imagine this is expensive and
takes more time from them than just sending out a contractor to replace
a few wires outside/in your house.

Good luck!