[colug-432] Sound Question

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 8 11:19:12 EST 2012

OpenSUSE 12.1 64 bit

Yast/Sound shows three sound cards:

     0  MCP55 High Definition Audio
     1  Solo-1 Audio Adapter
     2  USB Audio

With the above order of cards the Solo-1 is the only one that produces
sound when tested.  If I change the order and make the Solo-1 the
primary card it becomes mute and the MCP55 card which moves index 2
produces sound when tested.  The USB Audio card remains mute regardless
of its index.

All of the sound devices, speakers, Amarak, etc work, with the exception
of the microphone.  The opne exception for the microphone is the WebCam
microphone works in Firefox if I open the Chat configuration in gmail.
Unfortunately, Skype will only use The PulseAudio Server (local) for all
of the sound settings.  Ringing and the Speakers work, but the
microphone remains mute.  I have tried every setting on the PulseAudio
server and have not managed to enable the microphone.

Several questions:

     What will I mess up if I delete the the MCP55 High Definition Audio
and USB Audio cards in Yast?
     How can I enable the microphone?

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                  Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry                  Stochastic and multivariate