[colug-432] Boot Problem

Stephen P. Molnar s.molnar at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 8 14:48:33 EST 2012

openSUSE 12.1 64 bit OS KDE3/4 Desktop

I had shut down the computer to change some plugins on the back panel.
When I restarted the computer the boot went well until the point where I
had to log in.  At this point rather than a boot screen that gave me a
choice of window managers I was presented witn a plain gray screen with
a box for the user which closed when I input the user name and opened a
new box for the password.  Also now there is a console window in the
lower left corner of the plash screen with the message:

     Jan 8 14:28:58 linux-ddlt mcelog: mcelog read: No such device

However there is a /var/log/mcelog, but it is empty.

I no longer had the option of choosing the window manager.  This is a
critical problem for me as the KDE desktop is very unstable on my
machine.  I have been using the iceWM which is a stable as KDE used to
be.  I tried changing the splash screen while in the KDE desktop, but
that had no effect when I restarted the computer.

In all candor I don't have a clew as to what has happened and would
appreciate some sagacious advice at this point.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.                  Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry                  Stochastic and multivariate