[colug-432] Boot Problem

Brian Miller bnmille at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 17:27:30 EST 2012

On 01/08/2012 02:48 PM, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> openSUSE 12.1 64 bit OS KDE3/4 Desktop
>
> I had shut down the computer to change some plugins on the back panel.
> When I restarted the computer the boot went well until the point where I
> had to log in. At this point rather than a boot screen that gave me a
> choice of window managers I was presented witn a plain gray screen with
> a box for the user which closed when I input the user name and opened a
> new box for the password. Also now there is a console window in the
> lower left corner of the plash screen with the message:

Normally when you get to the point where it asks for a user name, there
should be some kind of drop-down selection where you can select what
desktop you want:  KDE, Gnome, LXDE, iceWM, etc.  You should select this
BEFORE typing your name.

If that drop-down choice is gone, then you should be able to edit
/etc/sysconfig/windowmanager.  Near the top of the file will be a line:
DEFAULT_WM="lxde", except your system likely won't say lxde.  Change it
from whatever it did say to "KDE", or maybe "KDE4".

If that doesn't work (maybe it already says "KDE", then look in your
home directory.  There should be a .kde and .kde4 directory (note the
dot at the beginning of the directory name).  If you rename those, and
log back in, you should be back to where you started.