[colug-432] shell account hosting?

Judd Montgomery judd at jpilot.org
Fri Jan 20 11:27:35 EST 2012

On 01/20/2012 12:00 AM, Rick Hornsby wrote:
> > From what I gathered they charge by uptime, not CPU cycles.  When you take it down, your instance and everything in it is destroyed.
>
> I could be wrong tho.

AWS charges for uptime rounded to the highest hour, network, Elastic
Block Storage (EBS), S3 and other things if you use them.  An instance
store instance (the root drive is on the host) can't be "stopped".  You
can terminate it and lose everything.  An EBS backed image you can stop
and it will not lose what is on the root drive, but will lose the larger
disk mounted at /mnt.  You can get around this by mounting another EBS
volume if you need a larger persistent drive.  You will be charged for
10 cents per million I/O requests on an EBS volume (including the root
drive of an EBS backed instance).

If you want an instance store image you can quickly start an image, use
it for as long as you need and terminate it.  You can use puppet or chef
to configure it as needed upon boot.  You can also configure it the way
you want and then create your own image.  This can be started quickly,
used and then terminated.  You can store stuff on an EBS volume and keep
it around with or without an EBS image.  There are storage charges for
instance images, which are stored in S3 (based on size and time) and for
EBS (based on I/O, size and time).

With either of these types you will get a different IP address on restart.

I've found EBS volumes to be much slower than instance store, although
AWS will tell you it is similar.  Don't believe it for now.

AWS oversubscribes everything.  You'll find that during the work day
everything slows down, the CPU, the network, the disk.  The larger
machine you purchase the less you'll notice this.  You should pay
attention to the "I/O performance" listed for a particular instance type
if you need the network and disk to be fast.

One thing I really like at AWS is the "spot instances".  They are
charged at a variable market rate and if the rate goes over your bid
then it gets terminated, no advance notice, it just goes away.  I've
started up larger instances and ran them for months at 1/5 or so of the
normal rate.  What I have noticed is that these can take hours to start
and seem to get killed every once in a while when the asking price does
not exceed my limit.  I suspect this is just to keep people from using
them for on-demand processing and for long term, but I could be totally
wrong.

Judd