[colug-432] 80-cols email!

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jul 5 15:31:40 EDT 2012

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 14:41:01 -0400, "Angelo McComis" <angelo at mccomis.com> wrote:

> I've seen this reference more than once, and pardon the lack of context in
> this area as to who this serves, but who still, in 2012, is using a modern
> communications protocol like e-mail, yet using a program for it that is
> incapable of something as simple as line-breaking and paragraph formatting,
> so as to not overrun the screen on an 80-column reader?

I do.

> And what program is this that has such a problem?

Iceweasel(Firefox) and Konqueor to name two.
How about your own browser? Test with the following URL:

   http://lists.colug.net/pipermail/colug-432/2012-July/001774.html

> Sorry if I'm swinging a stick at a hornets nest here, but the topics on this
> list are usually of the "how can I use this newer technology" and hardware
> enablement on Linux...  rather than the "how do I keep this dinosaur 386
> hardware running" variety, so this ever-so-simple email issue seems a bit
> odd.

One is under absolutely _no_ obligation whatsoever to limit the lines
in one's posts to 80 columns. However, one might choose to do so for
purely selfish reasons, in order to get more and/or better replies,
by making email easy to read with a wide variety of programs.
Many eyeballs make all bugs shallow, so attract more eyeballs.
The choice is yours.

By the way, there are also situations where long lines should _not_
be wrapped.