[colug-432] DNS delays for IPv6

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Tue Jun 19 12:01:16 EDT 2012

Mine is a Motorola SurfBoard DOCSIS. At 192.168.100.1, I see Signal strength
is not a field of information on mine, but Signal-to-noise ratio is, and
mine is 37.9dB...

I hear less than 36dB can be an indicator of problems.  (My power level is
-1.8 dBmV)

For what its worth, broadbandreports.com has FAQs with loads of useful info
on t-shooting cable modem connectivity issues.

Bonus FWIW: Apparently columbus.rr.com (Columbus franchise of RoadRunner)
does allow one to BYO cable modem. Not sure if it saves any money or not,
but on the FAQ, it says Columbus allows it.

Rick -- I would point out that beyond the initial NS lookup on the host
name, pages should not be slow. These days with pages calling in ads and
plug ins and what-not from facebook, doubleclick, etc., a given page might
do 10 or more lookups, but once they're done, they should be cached locally
according to their TTL rules (or your own rules for caching that might
override what's in TTL).  Coding those addresses locally into /etc/hosts
explains immediate relief on first lookup, but doesn't explain why
subsequent lookups (before adding to /etc/hosts) were slow.