[colug-432] Red Hat in May

Neal Dias roman at ensecure.org
Fri Apr 19 16:33:55 EDT 2013

I can't really speak to the product since it's debut after I left Red Hat,
but I will say that from my personal observation, Red Hat really tries to
use open standards and protocols whenever possible. The core of Red Hat
employees are still very focused on this. In fact, IMHO, there are folks at
Red Hat who simply don't understand why Red Hat doesn't just make
everything available for free. Some of the conversations on Red Hat's
internal memo-list are absolutely hilarious to read when these
conversations come up, and they come up regularly. There is considerable
internal pressure at Red Hat to open source everything possible, although
those voices are sometimes offset by the business folks at Red Hat who
don't necessarily see things through the same OSS oriented lenses and don't
really understand OSS.

I'll have to say that the focus on OSS in combination with the focus on
management tools was a huge positive for me during my time at Red Hat. I've
been an advocate of "roll your own" management solutions such as
cfengine+SCM+kickstart etc. (please don't someone come back with comments
about puppet, not talking about the individual tools here) for my entire
career, RHN Satellite was one of the few products that's I've ever worked
with from the systems management aspect that I would advocate even if not
still selling for Red Hat, especially if you aren't going to devote real
resources to; not only rolling your own solution, but documenting it
properly and following good coding and development processes. Why? It's a
product based on an open source project, so I can have direct contribution
into the development if I so choose, and yet it gets me out of the business
of maintaining the the "big ball of mud" that most cobbled together "roll
your own" management solutions devolve into.

As long as Red Hat doesn't get pulled to far off it's OSS path by the
business folks, I think you will continue to see this focus from Red Hat.