[colug-432] Red Hat in May

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Fri Apr 19 18:17:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Scott McCarty <scott.mccarty at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I don't want to get your hopes up.
> ManageIQ/CloudForms 2.0 does not manage zVM.
> In fact, nothing Red Hat does manages zVM per say.

Not surprised.  SAD, but not surprised.
This is why I'm looking for (and preaching) common APIs and protocols.
When we have stuff like that, MIQ (or anything) becomes plug-compatible.

Curious: can MIQ/CF do PPC?  Sun/Oracle?  Xen?

> Satellite can manage systems in zVM,
> but the only end to end (x86 to s390x) "management" tool
> for the virtualization layer that I am aware of comes from IBM.

Don't get me started.

The older IBM operating systems were bare bones.  Then ISVs came into
existence filling in the gaps.  This remains true for z/VM in terms of
managing virtual machines.  There is a virtual machine mangler from
IBM and another from Computer Associates.  (Whatever feelings we all
may have about CA, their VM management product is excellent.)  IBM
then fronted either of these.  The front is ... well ... it's like
stucco with bad adhesive.  Gimme MIQ (or xCAT or even virt-manager).

IBM has excellent hardware with a hot performing hypervisor, but the
management they throw on it sucks.

Of course, you can drive the CA product directly.  And it's great!
But that's not integrated with non-z virtualzation.  Bummer.

--