[colug-432] Modern Mail Management

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Mon Feb 4 12:15:30 EST 2013

Colug,

I had been in the habit of having "one machine to rule all my personal
email"

I just got a company laptop and do not feel like moving all my personal
email to the corporate computer.

So I think what I want is to pop my email to my desktop at home, when I am
home.

I want to access the email on my phone and via webmail on my corporate
laptop when I travel.

I use gmail to manage my domain's email. I know they abuse the protocols
badly, but for the near term I will continue to have them manage my domain
email.

So my question is this.

What combination of pop and imap are you all using to have one archive, yet
to quickly dump garbage and write short replies while away from that one
"archive" machine.

Hope that makes sense.

I am thinking pop for the desktop and Imap for the phone and laptop.

If anyone has a recommendation outside of that let me know.

For the home machine I use Mac's mail app, could be convinced to switch to
thunderbird, as I have used it in the past.

Also if I start moving mail from one app to another maybe it is time to
archive old work email and old personal email in one location as well.

Thanks,

Tom