[colug-432] security camera, surveillance software, open source, DIY

Mike Schoenborn rtfm at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jun 17 21:15:24 EDT 2013

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:39:51 -0400
Tom Hanlon <tom at functionalmedia.com> wrote:

> my wish list is.
> Video intercom, well two way voice one way video. From one house to
> the other, about 100 yards apart.
>
> Surveillance.
> Motion detection, image capture, email alert, image upload.
>
> Bonus features.
> Remote pan.

Check your repository for the program "motion":

 Motion is a program that monitors the video signal from
 one or more cameras and is able to detect if a significant
 part of the picture has changed. Or in other words, it can
 detect motion.

 Motion is a command line based tool. It has no graphical
 user interface. Everything is setup either via the
 command line or via configuration files.

 The output from motion can be:
    - jpg files
    - ppm format files
    - mpeg video sequences

 Also, motion has its own minimalistic web server. Thus,
 you can access the webcam output from motion via a browser.

 Homepage: http://motion.sf.net

I have used this program only for its timelapse features, but did
experiment a bit with its detection features and found them quite
capable. This should cover #2 on your wish list.