[colug-432] strlcpy / strlcat in Centos 6.6

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Dec 21 21:58:35 EST 2014

On 12/21/14, 9:25 PM, Rick Hornsby wrote:

>> On Dec 21, 2014, at 20:19, Rob Stampfli <rob944 at cboh.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Chris.  I did note the stackoverflow comment but was hoping
>> for a cleaner solution.  I might have to add the repository, but
>> for now I'm going to set this project aside and enjoy the holiday,
>> as I hope all of you are doing, too.
>
> We ended up making EPEL pretty much a standard part of our
> configuration because RHEL always seemed to be missing this or that.
> Usually it was a package our developers had specified in their chef
> cookbook, or was a dependency of something they needed.  I hadn’t
> come across missing glibc functions.  Good to know.

My complaint with EPEL packages is that they tend to have a lot of
dependencies on other EPEL packages.  This can sometimes greatly
increase the package count on a server.

In some cases you can download the RPM from EPEL and `yum localinstall`
it.  Of course, this means you're on the hook for tracking updates
manually; but it does save you from having the entirety of EPEL in your
list of available packages.