[colug-432] Experiment with Virtual Machines

jep200404 at columbus.rr.com jep200404 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jan 10 17:00:42 EST 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:47:26 -0500, Rick Troth <rmt at casita.net> wrote:

> If you plan to experiment then I recommend you learn as much command
> line and "text mode" as you can. Makes recovery a lot easier.

Playing around in virtual machines eases "recovery" also.

Make a fresh virtual machine and do a plain install of the
hot new disto on it. Then clone it and futz around.
If your futzing screws things up the clone,
then reclone the original distro and futz around some more.

Don't get rid of an old virtual machine until you are happy
with the new virtual machine.

Writing down what you do and what happened is helpful.