[colug-432] kmod vs akmod nvidia

Vince Herried Vince at PlanetVince.com
Sun Jan 26 16:13:01 EST 2014

Rick: The kmod-nvidia was indeed installed  in the RPM database by akmod
magic at boot time.  Unless yum uses a different database than the rpm
tool,  find that hard to imagine.

recap I:
yum erase kmod-nvidia
yum install akmod-nvidia
reboot ( multiple s :)
discovered missing kernel-PAE-devel thus X not happy.
yum install kernel-PAE-devel
reboot X comes up.
test yum update suggests updates for kmod-nvidia???
since I had yum erase kmod-nvidia*  prior to the boot, was surprised it
wanted to update kmod-nvidia.
did yet  another yum erase kmod-nvidia* which is where I see the message
RPMDB was updated by some one other than yum.
run yum update which installed new kernel ( and more, chuff ).
reboot.
And surprise  yet another kmod-nvidia shows as installed.
Well at least I found that for some reason i don't need kernel-devel, which
I'm pretty sure kmod-nvidia installed way back when.
akmod definately wants kernel-PAE-devel to build its magic.

Patrick:  I already looked at that link .  It say no reason for installing
both akmod and kmod which is why I removed the kmod and when I see it gets
automagically installed  at boot time is why I posted here.
As you mentioned, advantageous.... I've seen times  when the  kmod was not
available for several weeks.  I was annoyed because it was just after using
fedup to migrate off f18 ( dropped support ) to f19.  The upgrade was
painful, fedup didn't support my firmware raid system.  I had to run on a
f18 kernel ( while on f19 ) for the weeks till both  new kmod and new
kernel arrived.  The happy folks at bugzilla closed or ignored  my  bug on
fedup, then a week later wanted documentation that I would have had to roll
my system back to f18 to get.  Haven't looked  to see  if bug I reported
on  fedup still there.

I have decided the post you referred to is incorrect in saying no reason to
have both installed, cause akmod installs the other.

Vince