[colug-432] Install and Manually Partition Debian

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Fri Mar 14 20:00:33 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 06:53:38PM -0500, tom wrote:

> Hmm. Linux Mint Debian does http://imagebin.org/299394
>
> I have installed debian before, along time ago, and do not remember this
> hoo haw. I liked Debian, but it was worthless on a laptop as it did not
> run the wireless (at least w/o a lot of trouble) I do not like having to
> use a USB wireless dongle as I am clumsy and imagined raking the dongle
> off on something and in the process trashing the laptop
>
> Anyway, I wanted to partition for a /tmp and /home. The default install
> does not require anything special.

I just installed Debian on a new server one week ago.  I made a RAID
volume, an LVM physical volume on top of that, 8 LVM logical volumes in
the physical volume, and set different partitions for /, /boot, /tmp,
/usr, /home, /opt, /srv, and /var.  I was able to do all of that without
editing /etc/fstab by hand.

I can't speak to how it work in Mint.

Regards,

-Roberto