[colug-432] Docker discussion

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Oct 16 00:00:23 EDT 2014

At the day job as a Solution Architect for Red Hat, I visit a lot of
customers.  My fellow SA's and I joke that Docker is the most likely
reason that we will be stopped in the hallway before we get to our meeting
or after we leave.  This despite the fact that Docker is only useful if
you have very specific use cases and some pretty top notch Linux talent
to implement it.

IMO...  MS has a big problem in that it is hard to run MS based
applications on the cloud infrastructures like AWS and OpenStack (not
impossible, just challenging).  Azure has gotten traction in Windows
shops, but I don't know of anyone other than MS that is hosting a Hyper-V
based cloud.  There is no "on premise, customer owned" option for Azure
that I know of.

Annnnddd..  people forget that Windows Server and MS Office are
very symbiotic.  One can't really survive without the other.  So what
happens as the world moves from client/server to cloud/mobile and MS
has <5% market share in mobile devices???  And they don't have a viable
horizontally scaleable cloud, ala AWS?

I see this as an (good) defensive move from MS to try to head off the
bleeding.  Will be interesting to see if it works, how they handle MSSQL
pricing, CAL's, etc, etc, etc.

Will gladly talk about this Thursday as well.