[colug-432] Docker discussion

Tom Hanlon tom at functionalmedia.com
Thu Oct 16 12:40:25 EDT 2014

I think the more interesting piece abut docker rather than docker
itself is the new possibilities enabled by containers, cgroups,
systemd or whatever all goes together to allow docker to work.

I am aware of some of the moving, parts. I know Solaris Zones were a
good thing, I understand some of the cgroup container stuff is similar
and that the kernel has somehow been enabled to do all this in recent
versions.

The Hadoop scheduler Yarn for example uses cgroups, I think the
cluster system Mesos does as well.

I work with docker based solutions and I find a lack of stability in
the deployment, but that might not be due to docker.

I have worked as a trainer for 10 years , MySQL, apache, XML, Hadoop
and I see a huge opportunity for someone to talk the docker company
into delivering training I think there is a market to be trained.

So yes I am interested in the guts of what enables docker, but not so
much docker itself.

If someone gave a presentation on cgroups, and systemd and all that so
I could learn more that would be more interesting to me than writing a
dockerfile.

--
Tom