[colug-432] systemd dislike

Rick Hornsby richardjhornsby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:01:11 EST 2016

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 08:18, Jim Wildman <jim at rossberry.com> wrote:
>
> Also installing the bash-completion package enables tab-tab completion
> for systemctl commands and units...which is as handy as it sounds.
> The first time you run it, it will be slow, after that it just works.
>
> You can also give it multiple commands
>
> systemctl restart A B C
>
> I can't say I like it, but it's easy enough to get used to.  It was
> introduced right as I joined Red Hat and I thought there would be a great
> hue and cry against it.  Crickets.  I think professional sysadmins just
> don't care.

Before jumping into RHEL7, which is where the transition from sysV to systemd happened (or rather, started - RHEL7 still supports sysv style init scripts) for Red Hat, I knew from playing in Debian/Ubuntu that systemd was a thing.  Linux (mostly RHEL) is my day job, so I groused about it a little at first and basically figured that’s the way Linux was going.

systemd just one small part of overall sysadmin work, and configuration management tools like Puppet abstract you from the details, so I don’t think about it a whole lot until the topic comes up.

> Just give me the documentation and get out of the way.

Your point is well taken.  I think it’s probably a matter of just sitting down with it for a little while and looking for more utility out of systemd like the tips Zach gave.