[colug-432] SixXS is dead

Rick Troth rmt at casita.net
Tue Oct 25 12:38:54 EDT 2016

 ... and it seems it is in fact /intentional/.
I opened a ticket with SixXS and the response was "check the news". On
their news page I then found a post (new as of an hour ago) with more
than a dozen reasons why we should "call your ISP for IPv6", which SixXS
has been saying for several months.

I /have/ IPv6 from my ISP. What I /don't/ have is IPv6 in certain other
places: behind a corporate IT NAT firewall (which otherwise does allow
outbound AYIYA/AICCU), Starbucks, John Glenn Airport, my sister's house.
(Where her ISP probably gives them IPv6 but their router doesn't grok.)

SixXS is actually dead. The web site still works. Any tunnels presently
active should remain active. But you can no longer sign up for new
service. You cannot request new tunnels or subnets. And as of this week
you cannot re-establish a tunnel if it is interrupted (e.g., because you
had to reboot or experienced an IPv4 hiccup).

SixXS really intrigues me. What is/was their motivation? I've never been
fond of end-of-life of either systems or software, but the SixXS guys
have _had EOL in view_ from the beginning. (Once everyone has native
IPv6, why would you need a tunnel?) And it's a _hobby project_. I get
that. (But who engages in a hobby with an end date? Is there a day when
a painter will intentionally quit painting?) And it's a _freebe_. (But
they've won awards and garnered reputation.)

Gotta wonder if they switched their info/init server to loopback just to
see who complained, to find out if anyone cared.
I've been played.

-- R; <><