[colug-jobs] System Engineer
skippy at skippy.net
Thu Jun 18 06:08:33 EDT 2015
This engineer will be the system administrator for our Linux platforms and will routinely work with vendors, project managers, system administrators, database administrators, application developers and end users in order to maintain and improve the performance of our servers, databases and applications.
We are looking for a flexible, self-starter with a positive attitude that enjoys supporting and helping others in a fast paced and team oriented environment.
· Bachelor Degree (EE, CS, etc.)
o Candidates without a Bachelor’s degree will NOT be considered
· Desired Certifications/Key Experience:
Technical Skills & Responsibilities
· Systems Administration Experience with Linux and HP-UX operating systems
· 10 or more years of experience in an IT infrastructure environment.
· 10 or more years of Linux Engineering/Administration.
· 2 or more years of experience with Linux servers and SAN storage devices (EMC SANs Desired).
· Solid understanding of Enterprise Linux and best practices.
· Solid understanding of Linux monitoring and tools.
· Solid understanding of Linux security best practices.
· Solid understanding of Oracle on Linux, including Oracle RAC.
· Perl scripting.
· Veritas File System management (Veritas Cluster Software experience is a Plus).
· Ensuring backups are sufficient for complete system recovery (CommVault experience is a Plus).
· Ability to solve problems quickly and effectively.
· Ability to calmly resolve high risk situations.
· Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of responsibilities.
· Writing Skills – reports, proposals, white papers.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks.
· Must be detail oriented, committed to deadlines and have solid verbal and written communication skills.
· Work with vendors to ensure maintenance coverage for all relevant servers and equipment.
· Utilize tools for continuous system monitoring of system resource utilization.
· System maintenance including backups, operating system installations and upgrades, etc.
· Ability to follow established Change Control processes.
Communications, Projects, Policies & Procedures
· Plans, directs and co-ordinates the efforts of vendors and internal stakeholders in the development, deployment and management of technical solutions and other projects supporting the division and region
· Identifies opportunities where the organization can improve service levels and reduce expenses
· Supports executive reporting through the creation of presentations, proposals and other documents
· Prepares and presents service level updates and status reports on Projects, Linux Issues, Budgets, etc.
· Experienced and effective in proposing, refining and implementing project standards, policies and procedures
· Understands and promotes key IT processes (ex. Incident Management, Change Management, Problem Management, Configuration Management, Service Level Management, Capacity Management, etc.)
· Proficiency with MS Office products (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio & Project)
Vendor & Customer Management
· Manages the selection, purchase and installation of Linux devices, applications and related systems
· Negotiates and manages vendor agreements, contracts and major expenditures
· Meets with vendors to discuss and address infrastructure problems, projects and administrative issues
· Manages service levels through the creation and implementation of standards, policies and procedures
· Superior written and verbal communication skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team
· Periodic on-call support and availability outside of normal working hours
· Remain professional, positive and patient at all times
· Detail oriented and committed to meeting deadlines
· Must be responsive, dependable and able to multi-task
· Solve problems quickly and effectively
· Stay calm in high risk, high pressure situations
· Thrive in a fast-paced environment
· Maintain shift/schedule flexibility
· Stay abreast of current technological developments/trends
· Ability to think on your feet and maintain service levels at all times
· 5% travel in support of site, regional and managerial priorities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must periodically lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Please contact Dan Bruck:
dbruck at TEKsystems.com
More information about the colug-jobs