[colug-432] talking to your ISP

Joshua Kramer joskra42.list at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 02:28:47 EST 2012

Just to add a data point... I have CenturyLink dsl, out in the middle of
nowhere.  I just upgraded from 3.5 to 10 and I'm consistently getting 9.5
mbit/sec.

The upgrade was a headache though.  They put me on a different dslam and
forgot to re-route my static ip.  After spending 10 minutes on the phone
with a frustrating tier-1 tech who didn't understand that if I can telnet
into my modem, removing the wireless router wont make a difference, he
bumped me to a tier-3 tech.  We spent an hour and a half diagnosing things,
only to find that the port on the dslam was bad.

But its worth it... Having 10 mbit in rural knox county is nice!