[colug-432] modem misbehavior & diagnosis Re: Comcast and connectivity alternatives

Jeff Frontz jeff.frontz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 10:50:56 EST 2014

I had similar issues when I was still renting.  Finally, the TWC support
people told me to swap out the modem.  You basically take it over to the
place on Olentangy River Rd (just south of Third) and they do the swap for
free (but I think you need an RMA or some sort of work-order created first
by the TWC support person).

You can do a bit of self-diagnosis by pointing your browser at the modem
and looking at the log files on it.  Sometimes the logs reveal the reason
for the restart (e.g., because of inability to reach the head-end,
synchronization issues, etc.).  You can also read the signal levels and see
how many channels are actually active, etc.

Previous items with more info:
http://lists.colug.net/pipermail/colug-432/2012-June/001747.html and
http://lists.colug.net/pipermail/colug-432/2012-June/001746.html

Jeff